In this post (click to jump through the post):
- What is the Director’s Student Voice Forum?
- How do you like to express yourself?
- Ways to participate:
The Forums are dynamic open space experiences where topics will be pre-generated by nominated students by way of an individualized survey. By completing this survey, you will help to set the topics for conversation and exploration.
In this space, you do not have to stay at any given topic for the duration of the activity – you can use the “Law of two feet”: If you find yourself in a situation where you are not learning or contributing then you will be encouraged to move on to another topic you are passionate about contributing to.
To begin, you will start by gathering with other students around a topic that resonates with you – meaning that you are passionate about the topic or just really want to talk about it. You will add your thoughts to a graffiti wall and then stay to have some discussion about the topic to draw out your comment and give others a chance to talk about it as well. Conversations will be facilitated by one of your fellow students from the hosting school.
Ways to Participate
Whether you attend your cluster forum in person, or whether you participate from afar, every student in HWDSB will have an opportunity to express their voice and have their say.
- In Person: Students have been nominated to attend the forums in person. If you have been nominated, please complete the form under the “Register” link and your personalized survey will be emailed to you.
We really want to encourage you to use whatever device you prefer or carry on your person (cellphone, smartphone, iPod Touch, iPhone, Blackberry, iPad, etc.) to contribute. Your phones these day are powerful computers and you can contribute on Twitter and the blog using the Twitter and WordPress apps. Please download these apps before Forum day onto your particular device.
Posting with your Apple Device
How to post to the Director’s Forum blog from an iOS device.
- Twitter: Follow and contribute to the Twitter conversation using the hashtag #HWDSBvoices – other hashtags will be generated on the day of the forums as well, i.e. #GREATschools
- The Student Voice Blog:The Commons is our collaborative learning space (and the network that hosts this Student Voice blog). Participate here by clicking on topics and contributing your voice by replying OR create your own topics to start your own conversations.
- Instructions to Login and Navigate The Student Voice Forum
- Here, you can:
- Comment to others by typing a reply to topics or starting your own topic
- Comment by voice using VoiceThread
- Draw and upload your vision of a great school
- Film a video, upload to YouTube and embed here on the blog
- Create a poster on Glogster and embed it here on the blog
- If you can imagine it, you can express yourself in your way (please remember to link, embed, or otherwise add all material here on the blog so everyone can see it, comment on it, and otherwise appreciate your contribution to the conversation
- Use your mobile device! How to post to the Director’s Forum blog from an iOS device.